Friday, January 15, 2010

Tokyo Technology!

We've been in Tokyo for about 40 hours now, and already I am incredibly impressed with Japan.

Most importantly, there's the most wonderful invention ever- heated toilet seats.  It's really friggin' cold here (mostly this is our fault- the temps are only in the 40s-low 50s F, but we skimped on stuffing warm clothes into the limited space in our bags since everywhere else we're headed will be warm or downright hot).  Yesterday I visited the public bathrooms (really clean, by the way) located within the Hama Rikyu Garden while we waited for our river boat cruise to arrive.  I was wearing several layers of long sleeves, my North Face soft shell jacket, a new hat (bought the night before in chilly desperation), and Mohit's gloves (what a gentleman, he must have been freezing), and was thankful most of these items were black, allowing me to soak up the sun's warmth to the extent that I could.  I cannot describe the sheer delight of sitting down upon a blissfully warm toilet seat- I could have stayed there for hours.  I told Mohit we're getting one of those at home.  

The subway seats are gloriously heated too- the ones upholstered in red, at least.  If the subway is crowded, all of the red seats get taken, and the only ones left are blue-upholstered seats, which are not heated.    

I am also enamored with another heating marvel- the bathroom mirror.  I completely fogged up the little bathroom in our hotel room this morning (which is about the size of the bathroom you get in a cruise ship cabin, which is to say, tiny).  There's a perfectly square heated spot on the mirror that doesn't fog up- ingenious!  Only problem is that it's about chest height, and not face height.  Good to know they don't get everything right here, otherwise I'd develop a serious American inferiority complex.

3 comments:

  1. "Only problem is that it's about chest height, and not face height. Good to know they don't get everything right here, otherwise I'd develop a serious American inferiority complex."

    Too funny Kate! However, that IS face height for many Japanese. I felt like exceedingly tall walking around Tokyo, and i'm only 5'7". We visited Japan in February and also loved the heated toilets! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started reading this post, I assumed it was Mo writing about the heated toilet seats:). You are turning into one...joking. Waiting for the next post!
    reetu

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been shadowing your blog and is very fascinating reading all the fun and excitements you guys are experiencing....tuning to read your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Search This Blog